How to get referrals through Linkedin
Jul 23, by Tanya Alvarez
First, you have to get over “I don’t want to bother people in my network issue” or the “feeling weird.” Once you are over those feelings and remember why you started your company then we are ready to roll. Most people in your network have no clue what you are up to and probably know someone who can benefit from your product/service. And those who do know about what you do, don’t know how to introduce your company.
I am a big believer in karma and helping others. I love helping and connecting people, it is an immediate dose of endorphins, who wouldn’t want hit of happiness?! So let’s start tapping into your network and supporting others.
Export your LinkedIn contacts
- Go to your LinkedIn homepage and click on the tab ‘Connections’
- Click to ‘Settings’ symbol in the top right corner of the page
- Click ‘Export Linkedin Connections’ in the right column on the page
- Choose ‘Microsoft Outlook (.CSV file)’ and click ‘Export’
- Save the document
Make a compelling and easily actionable email
- Always personalize it for a better reply. Don’t say: “how is business doing?” Do ask: “how can I support you?” Remember something very important about them (family, hobbies, goals) and ask them how that is coming along. Have a genuine interest and be authentic.
- Do state your mission! Always explain how this could benefit their network.
- The more specific you are, the easier it is for your friend to think of someone they can refer you to. If it is too general they will delete, snooze, or send you prospects that aren’t a fit.
- Here is an example of an email I have sent out to my Linkedin network
Use tools to make it easier
- I use Streak (CRM in your Gmail) so I can personalize each template email and remind myself to follow up with the emails sent.
- Create templates on streak
- Once the email is sent to the prospect, I put a streak reminder to follow up
Track your success
- Streak pipelines has a great overview feature which shows me all of my networking efforts which I love because I am a visual person. Here is a screenshot of how I set mine up.
- Here is an example of the fields I use in streak to keep track of each person in my network.
Always thank the referee
- After the call with the prospect send an email to the referee informing them you spoke to them and how the call went with the referral
A good goal is to send 40 a week. 25% reply rate is a good indicator that you are on the right track. What are you waiting for? Go get some endorphins!
Want to know how to write more effective emails to your prospects or clients? check out Crystalknows.com Fun hack: take your top 5 clients and check out their personalities. Are there patterns? If there are patterns, update your newsletters to reflect it.